[R] Creating an array of lists

Dan Davison davison at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 7 19:26:20 CEST 2008

Gang Chen-4 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to store some number of outputs from running a bunch of
> analyses such as lm() into an array. I know how to do this with a
> one-dimensional array (vector) by creating
>
> myArray <- vector(mode='list', length=10)

Note that in R terminology, 'myArray' is a list, not an array. You are right
to store things like lm() output in a list. If you want to store multiple lm
outputs in a way that is conceptually multi-dimensional, I would suggest
using lists of lists. Then you can use rapply(lm.fits, some.function,
how=replace) to process the model fits while keeping the multi-dimensional
structure.

Dan