[R] Write greek text to Windows Unicode file

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 6 18:44:30 CEST 2008

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, Weltler Rezső - Contenuto Bt. wrote:

> Hi, everybody!

> I am an experienced senior programmer, but absolutely newbie in R, so
> excuse me if my question is too silly.

> I need for my work to evaluete some greek text statistically. The text
> is in a Windows Unicode file, so I read it in via

>                             readLines(...,encoding="UCS-2LE")

> and it works perfectly! But finally the program has to write out the
> results (e.g. frequencies, but of course the greek root words too) to an
> output unicode text file, which could be later read in by another R
> program or edited by Notepad or MS Word. I tried it with the same method
> (for examle using cat), but the result, i.e. the output isn't a rightly
> encoded Windows file.

It is probably (we have no reproducible example) a correctly encoded
Unicode-standard file (the point being that Windows used non-standard
BOMs).

> Before sending this email I've searched for an answer to my question in the helps and also in learning guides and have found some hints but no solution.
> Please do help me!

Please do help us to help you by giving the reproducible example the
posting guide asked you for.

> Rezs?
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Please send properly formatted plain text -- I've had to reformat this.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk