[R] mlogit (using multinom) problems

Wim Bertels wim.bertels at khleuven.be
Wed Aug 6 15:47:53 CEST 2008

Hallo,

i am trying to use the mlogit package (which uses the multinom package
according to the documentation)

the multinom function works fine:

> fsex = multinom(country ~ sex, data=included_s_sex_MF)
# weights:  66 (42 variable)
initial  value 8222.172926
iter  10 value 7647.481298
iter  20 value 7511.814647
iter  30 value 7447.292301
iter  40 value 7438.253200
iter  50 value 7436.922135
iter  50 value 7436.922075
iter  50 value 7436.922075
final  value 7436.922075
converged

# but the mlogit function doenst:

> fsex = mlogit(countryRefBE ~ sex, data=included_s_sex_MF)
Error in s + x[[i]] : non-conformable arrays

Looking for this error did me think it has something to do with missing
values or unequal array lengths, but there no missing values and both
arrays are of equal length.

strangly enough:
fsex = mlogit(countryRefBE ~ 1|sex + contvar, data=included_s_sex_MF)
does seem to work, although much to heavy for my machine
(linux, amd 64, 1 gig ram + 2 gig swap, having no result more than an
hour, using full resources)

So my questions:
am i doing something wrong?, could i improve performance?, and what
about this error on non-conformable arrays.

mvg,
Wim