[R] Help in running Stata dataset in R

Lazarus Mramba LMramba at kilifi.kemri-wellcome.org
Wed Aug 6 08:26:53 CEST 2008

Dear All,

I installed R 2.7.0 and tried to call a dataset i had ealier own called
on R2.6.2 but i keep on getting an error:
use("maltreat.dta")

Error in fromchar(x) :
  character string is not in a standard unambiguous format

Tried doing the same with R2.7.1 but i get the same error.

However if i call the same on R 2.6.2, there is no error:

use("maltreat.dta")
> des()

 No. of observations =  670
   Variable          Class           Description
1  scrno             integer
2  todaydate         Date
3  ethnic            character
4  othtribe          character
5  dob               Date
6  ageyrs            integer
7  agemths           integer
8  sex               character

I cannot figure out what the problem is.

Please help me.

Kind regards,
Lazarus Mramba
Junior Statistician