[R] Will This Computer Run 64 bit Ubuntu/R?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Aug 3 18:38:01 CEST 2008

The Pemtium D 940 supports EMT64 according to
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1988 (I googled it).

That is the key: EMT64 is Intel's name for x86_64 and so your box should
run x86_64 Linux which I believe Debian/Ubuntu refer to as 'amd64' (which
understandably Intel does not favour and GNU configure does not use on
Linux).

R compiles readily on x86_64 Linux (it is our main development platform)
so in so far as there is 'the 64 bit linux version of R' (not really), it
will run.  More precisely you should be able to compile R from the sources
and also install an amd64 Ubuntu package for R.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk