[R] output components of GAM

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Sun Aug 3 13:45:50 CEST 2008

is this gam::gam or mgcv::gam? If the latter, and if I understand what
you want, if gam.out contains your GAM model fitted using gam() from
mgcv, then:

out.term <- predict(gam.out, type = "terms")

gives you the contributions of each covariate on the response for the
fitted model. read :?predict.gam for details of what type = "terms"
actually returns.

Note that you should be wary of accessing the components of model fits
directly. Instead, get the various bits using accessor functions,
coefs() for $coefficients, fitted() for the fitted values etc. Often the
components don't hold exactly what you think but which are processed
correctly when accessed by the appropriate accessor function.

HTH