[R] Reading data in R-metrics: FOLLOW UP

Kerpel, John John.Kerpel at infores.com
Fri Aug 1 20:25:08 CEST 2008

Apparently, the Fed changed the way they handled missing values in the
interest rates files; now they use a period instead of #N/A like they
did in my old files.  When I do a global replace and replace the periods
with a blank prior to importing in R, I get what I used to get:

DTB3<-read.table("C:\\Program
Files\\R\\R-2.7.1\\DTB3.csv",header=TRUE,sep=",")
> tail(DTB3)
            DATE VALUE
14233 2008-07-23  1.56
14234 2008-07-24  1.62
14235 2008-07-25  1.71
14236 2008-07-28  1.70
14237 2008-07-29  1.69
14238 2008-07-30  1.67
> DTB3<-as.timeSeries(DTB3)
> tail(DTB3)
           TS.1
2008-07-23 1.56
2008-07-24 1.62
2008-07-25 1.71
2008-07-28 1.70
2008-07-29 1.69
2008-07-30 1.67

John

I used the code below previously with no problems, but now I get:

DTB3<-read.table("C:\\Program
Files\\R\\R-2.7.1\\DTB3.csv",header=TRUE,sep=",")

> tail(DTB3)

            DATE VALUE

14233 2008-07-23  1.56

14234 2008-07-24  1.62

14235 2008-07-25  1.71

14236 2008-07-28  1.70

14237 2008-07-29  1.69

14238 2008-07-30  1.67

> DTB3<-as.timeSeries(DTB3)

> tail(DTB3)

           TS.1

2008-07-23  100

2008-07-24  106

2008-07-25  115

2008-07-28  114

2008-07-29  113

2008-07-30  111

What might be causing the values to change when I go from read.table to
as.timeSeries?

Many thanks.

John