[R] Coarsening the Resolution of a Dataset

Steve Murray smurray444 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 1 11:10:21 CEST 2008

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your advice. The problem is that I can't lose any of the data - it's a global dataset, where the left-most column = 180 degrees west, and the right-most is 180 degrees east. The top row is the North Pole and the bottom row is the South Pole.

I've got 512MB RAM on the machine I'm using - which has been enough to deal with such datasets before...?

I'm wondering, is there an alternative means of achieving this? Perhaps orientated via the desired output of the 'coarsened' dataset - my calculations suggest that the dataset would need to change from the current 2160 x 4320 dimensions to 360 x 720. Is there any way of doing this based on averages of blocks of rows/columns, for example?

Many thanks again,

Steve