[R] + and - in RODBC : no longer considered factors

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 30 12:49:14 CEST 2008

It is nothing to do with RODBC, which follows read.table here:

% cat > foo.txt
+
-

> read.table("foo.txt", header=TRUE)
1 0
2 0

and that uses

> type.convert(c("+", "-"))
[1] 0 0
> type.convert(c("+", "a"))
[1] + a
Levels: + a

Whereas 2.6.2 did

> type.convert(c("+", "-"))
[1] + -
Levels: + -

The difference is related to a change to deciding in R (and not the OS)
what a 'numeric field' is:

     o	Parsing and scanning of numerical constants is now done by R's
 	own C code.  This ensures cross-platform consistency, and
 	mitigates the effects of setting LC_NUMERIC (within base R it
 	only applies to output -- packages may differ).

 	The format accepted is more general than before and includes
 	binary exponents in hexadecimal constants: see
 	?NumericConstants for details.

There's a comment in the sources that numeric fields with no digits should
perhaps be regarded as non-numeric, so this can easily be changed.