[R] How to plot wind direction and strength field

Jenny Barnes jmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Apr 29 12:08:14 CEST 2008

Dear R-help community,

I have searched through the archives and not been able ot find any advice
on how to plot a wind field with one arrow per grid square with the arrow
pointing in the direction of the wind and it's size proportional to the
wind strength.

I have the wind speed data in arrays of [lon,lat,uwind] and
[lon,lat,vwind] so it is broken down into u and v components. How do I
plot it though?!?!

Any suggestions very wecome indeed - I seem to have hit a brick wall.....

All the best,

Jenny

Jennifer Barnes
PhD student: long range drought prediction
Climate Extremes Group
Department of Space and Climate Physics
University College London
Holmbury St Mary