[R] Using R under Ubuntu...

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Sun Apr 27 17:22:15 CEST 2008

On 04/27/08 10:57, Brian Lunergan wrote:
> 宋� - �歌 wrote:
> > Brian,
> >
> > I assume what you meant was that you did not see an icon on the
> > desktop like in windows. Well, R does not have a GUI under linux, and
> > you need to open a terminal and type "R" to get started. But you can
> > install either JGR, Rcommander, or PMG if you really want a GUI. For
> > me, Emacs + ESS + R works best.

Me too, but I use xemacs instead of emacs.  (Probably doesn't matter.)

With Gnome, you can make a launcher and configure it to do what you
want.  For example, using xemacs instead of emacs, right-click on the
panel, then choose "Add to panel" then "custom application launcher"
then "command" and enter
xemacs -f R
(and then find a nice icon for it).
(These instructions work on Fedora, which uses metacity along with
Gnome, but my memory is that they always worked with Gnome.)

You should have in your .xemacs/init.el one of the commands:

; if the latest ess installed in /usr/local
(load "/usr/local/ess-5.3.7/lisp/ess-site")

;or, if not (assuming that ess is still part of the xemacs rpm)
(require 'ess-site)

And you should look at the ess web page: http://stat.ethz.ch/ESS/

Once you start R, it is a good idea to open another window (possibly
in another viewport) with your command file.  For xemacs, you do this
with something like
gnuclient myfile.R

(I have an alias for this in .cshrc.)

Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron