[R] An ANOVA test that uses a distance matrix like hierarchical cluster analysis?

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Sun Apr 27 11:37:42 CEST 2008

Nick,

Take a look at adonis() and betadisper() in package vegan. adonis() is a
multivariate analogue of ANOVA that uses a dissimilarity matrix as
input. betadisper() is a multivariate analogue of Levene's test and does
a test for homogeneity of multivariate dispersions, again using a
dissimilarity matrix as input. adonis() compares the group means and
betadisper() compares the group variances.

I'd install vegan from the R-forge repository for these functions:

http://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/vegan/

because I fixed a bug in betadisper and adonis has extra functionality
in the current devel version. This has not yet made its way to CRAN.

The help pages for the relevant functions will guide you to references
that discuss the methodology implemented.

HTH

--
 Dr. Gavin Simpson             [t] +44 (0)20 7679 0522