[R] resolution (dpi) problem

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Apr 27 08:25:28 CEST 2008

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> See comments inline:
>
> Chris Walker wrote:
>> I am using R 2.4.1 with Windows XP.
>
> First, you are using a version of R that is a year and a half and 6
> releases out of date.  Version 2.7.0 was just released this past week.
> You can download it from your nearest CRAN mirror.
>
>> I use the plot command in a fairly simple script and I use the right mouse
>> click on the plot and save as a postscript file. I used the resultant file
>> in a paper which was submitted electronically. However, I get the following
>> response from the journal:
>>
>> Your manuscript has been unsubmitted because you failed to meet the
>> submission guidelines as indicated below:
>>
>> -Your figures must be submitted in TIFF or EPS format according to the
>> following minimum resolutions:
>>
>> 1200 dpi for black and white line art (simple bar graphs, charts, etc.)
>> 300dpi for halftones (black and white photographs) 600dpi for combination
>> halftones (Photographs that also contain line art such as labeling or thin
>> lines)
>>
>> Does anyone know how to produce the correct settings for the journal (i.e.
>> 1200 dpi)?
>
> Their comments about resolution apply to TIFF files and not EPS files,
> which are resolution independent.
>
> It has been several years since I last used the Windows version of R,
> but if the 'File Save As' menu for the plot indicates Postscript and not
> Encapsulated Postscript, that is your problem.

Whatever the menu says, it does produce Encapsulated PostScript (which is
a special case of PostScript)

R's postscript is always encapsulated, but EPS also requires a single
frame and a suitable header.  If you save from the menu it is

%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0

> You can use dev.copy2eps(...) after you have plotted the graphic to the
> screen device, or better, plot directly to an EPS file by surrounding
> your plot code with:
>
>   postscript("FileName.eps", width = X, height = Y, paper = "special",
>              horizontal = FALSE, onepage = FALSE)
>
>      YOUR PLOT CODE HERE
>
>   dev.off()
>

> See ?dev.copy and/or ?postscript for more help.
>
> And...be sure to install the latest version of R.  :-)

Not least because it can produce a 1200dpi TIFF figure via the tiff()
device.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk