[R] Documentation General Comments

Tubin sredmonson at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 16:53:49 CEST 2008

I realize the R developers are probably overwhelmed and have little time
for this, but the documentation really needs some serious reorganizaton.

My reply:

I'm quite new to R and so have spent a lot of time in the last few days
reading documentation both online and text.  I'm incredibly impressed by the
language and, overall, by the documentation - the documentation tools are so
well integrated into the program, and in most cases the documentation does a
good job of balancing brevity and completeness. The original poster noted a
need for "reorganization" (not revision) and I think that's key.  Several
people have posted about potential projects in several threads - so I'll try
combining those thoughts in a new response thread.

reflect the structure of the language
2)  There's a lot of good documentation out there already, both official and
unofficial
3)  It doesn't break intellectual property laws to create an "annotated
bibliography" of existing references, with a task-based topic structure.
4) I suspect new and old users would contribute to such a project if it
allowed external contributions - as in, suggest a resource (under an
existing topic) along with a brief explanation about why that resource was
helpful.

Detailed comments:

One thing I notice in the official documentation is that it's organized
around the R language structure.  The "help" table of contents does include
a listing of natural-language titles, but they're listed alphabetically
rather than organized by task-based concept.

But when you look at the forums, the new users are searching for information
by task or by concept - what are the classes of object?  How do I manipulate
a data frame?  What are my tools for regular expressions?  Many of my texts
(and some independent web pages) seem to try to organize by task, but all
are incomplete - perhaps because of space limitations, perhaps because the
language is so dynamic that useful functions hadn't yet been developed when
a text was published.  Also, most of my books actually only introduce the R
language then move on to discussing the use of R for specific statistical
functions.  Yet, most of the forum questions seem to be about things like
the desired analysis.

So I really like the suggestion to try creating some cross-indexing for the
materials that are out there already.  Perhaps a wiki-based "annotated
bibliography" with a task-based structure.  I'm tempted to suggest that we
just expand on the wikipedia content for R!

The structure of such a thing should have categories like "managing regular
expressions" or "manipulating data in dataframes" - and often a particular
topic might be cross-referenced to more than one category, I'd think.

By annotated bibliography I mean that most of the entries under a topic
would be "here's a link or reference to a source that seems to explain this
topic well - and here's why I like it".

And - I have to run to a meeting.  So I will stop brainstorming now.