[R] force glm estimates to be nonnegative

Samu Mäntyniemi samu.mantyniemi at helsinki.fi
Fri Apr 25 10:03:57 CEST 2008

You could use the BRugs package and formulate your prior knowledge about
  slopes in terms of a probability distribution.

Michele Christina Itten kirjoitti:
> Is there a way to force certain formula parameters to be nonnegative?
>
> What I want to do is to estimate student capacity over time, namely by
>
>>  capacity ~ Student + Student:Day
>
> I add this formula to a glm call and obtain negative learning slope estimates (Student:Day) in some cases.
> However, I don't want to allow for that. In such a case, glm should solve
>
>> capacity ~ Student
>
> and I will set the slope to zero.
>
> Is there an option to constrain a parameter set to nonnegative values?
>

> Many thanks in advance!
>
> Michele Itten,
> BS. Carnegie Mellon

Samu Mäntyniemi
Researcher
Fisheries and Environmental Management Group (FEM)
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences
Biocenter 3, room 4414
Viikinkaari 1
P.O. Box 65
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki