[R] Documentation General Comments

Lawrence Hanser lhanser at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 06:28:05 CEST 2008

Dear Colleagues,

It seems to me that the issue is not whether the information we seek
is in the documentation.  I, for one, am amazed at the quality of the
documentation of R and of contributed materials.  For me the issue is
one of finding the information in an efficient way out of the
mountains of information in the official and unofficial documentation
of R.  Part of this is on the head of the seeker of information to
generate keywords that will lead a search engine to find what we are
looking for.  But part of it is on the heads of contributors to insure
that relevant keywords are associated with relevant content in a way
that the search engine will find it and rank order it in a sensible
way.

Take RSiteSearch(), for example.  Are we as a user and contributor
group familiar with the scoring scheme that Namazu uses to score and
order the information it finds?  I refer you to:
http://www.namazu.org/doc/tips.html for this information.  For
example, if Namazu finds a keyword in a <meta name ="keywords"
content="..."> tag the score is bumped by 32 points.  Finding a
keyword in a <title> tag is worth 16 points, etc.  Also on the
referenced url page we are essentially told not to use more than two
words in the search.  It seems to me that knowing these things alone
will help authors increase the quality of searches and seekers to more
easily find what they are looking for.

My thanks to all the contributors who have made R a terrific system.

Regards,

Larry