[R] logit newbie question...

yoooooo magno_yu at ml.com
Thu Apr 24 13:54:59 CEST 2008

Hi, I'm new to the glm and logit world... and I'm reading some lecture notes
and examples. I would like to try and generate the same result in R.. but I
don't seem to be able to find the proper way to specify the formula....
let's say i have

Desire     Using Drugs     Not Using Drugs
Yes             219                     753
No               288                     347

Desire is my explanatory and Drugs Using is my response...

How can I specify the null model? Namely
     logit(pi) = n
where mle should give n to be logit((219+288)/(753+347))

Also, if I want a one factor model
      logit(pi1) = n
      logit(pi2) = n + alpha
where mle should give me n to be logit(219 / 972) and alpha be
logit(288/635) - logit(219/972)

Thanks!