[R] g(x,y) = f(x,y) - e(x)- e(y)?

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Wed Apr 23 15:56:29 CEST 2008

Le mer. 23 avr. à 06:59, William Simpson a écrit :

> Thanks Phipp very much for your help. I had meant, given that I'd
> computed the matrix f[x,y] and the vector e[x], how to take the
> difference. What is confusing is how to subtract a vector from a
> matrix. I don't want the recycling rule.

Well, then, how do you define the difference between a matrix and a
vector if the vector is not recycled into a matrix?

Thanks to the column major order S uses and recycling, the difference
between an m x n matrix 'M' and a vector of length n 'v',

	M - v,

yields the "right thing", namely the difference between each column of
M and v.

HTH   Vincent