[R] Regression inclusion of variable, effect on coefficients

Michael Dewey info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Apr 23 10:50:30 CEST 2008

At 20:06 21/04/2008, Thiemo Fetzer wrote:
>Hello :)
>
>I am happy to hear that I am not necessarily asking stupid questions.
>
>The thing is, that I have data on x1 and x4 for the whole sample. However,
>theoretically, it is clear that the informational content of x1 is not as
>high as of x4. x4 provides more accurate information to the subjects
>participating in the game, as it has been experimentally and theoretically
>shown that the x1 is biased.

It sounds as though you are thinking of some sort of path analysis or
structural equation model. If you look at the sem package you should
find some links to helpful material by John Fox and located on his
web site (I think). Of course I could be quite wrong here and you may
want something completely different. I am not advocating SEMs if they
are not needed as they provide many temptations to dredge into your
data but you do seem to have a theory to test.