[R] Research Notes

Richard.Cotton at hsl.gov.uk Richard.Cotton at hsl.gov.uk
Tue Apr 22 15:15:24 CEST 2008

> What has become more and more obvious to me after I started using R
> about two years ago is that I have collected a large number of data
> files, scripts, and workspaces (.Rdata files) in several catalogs on my
> computer.  It is also obvious that my memory is not up to the task of
> keeping track of everything.  Of course, this is not simply an R thing,
> it also applies to other kinds of documents of various kinds.
>
> Perhaps what is needed is some type of computerized "Research notebook",

> and I wonder if any of the readers of list have had this problem and
> have a suggestion in respect to a solution.  Two possibilities I have
> been sniffing at is "Instant Recall" (USD 99) and "AskSam" (much more).
>   Which others may be useful?

Other types of software you could try using are a desktop searcher (I like
Copernic; Wikipedia has a list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_search_engines#Desktop_search_engines
) to find files on obscure bits of hard drive, and source control software
(probably some variant of CVS or Subversion).  The source control
software, as well as helping multiple people code together, is great for
forcing you to organise project files into a sensible hierarchy, and has
the added benefit that when you misplace the entire project, you can
always download another copy from the repository.

Regards,
Richie.

Mathematical Sciences Unit
HSL