[R] Documentation General Comments

Beck, Kenneth (STP) Kenneth.Beck at bsci.com
Tue Apr 22 15:14:38 CEST 2008

This looks really good, thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Baer [mailto:rbaer at atsu.edu]
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 6:53 PM
To: esmail bonakdarian; Beck, Kenneth (STP); r-help at r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R] Documentation General Comments

>> I realize the R developers are probably overwhelmed and have little
>> time for this, but the documentation really needs some serious
reorganizaton.
>> A good through description of basic variable types would help a lot,
>> e.g. the difference between lists, arrays, matrices and frames.
>
> Agreed, esp since I am right now at this moment struggling with the
> differences of lists, arrays and vectors. (I have two vectors that I
> am trying to return from a function as an array of two rows - for some

> reason that's not working)

I don't know if you will find this helpful, but one of the better online
chapters on R Data Objects that I've found is by Tomas Aragon and Wayne
Enanoria.  Among other nice attributes it has some tables that summarize
improtant functions for working with different data objects.
The URL is:
http://www.medepi.net/epir/epir_chap02.pdf

Rob Baer

--- snip ---