[R] eval and parent.frame [was: Error in Design package: dataset not found for options(datadist)]

Gad Abraham gabraham at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Apr 22 05:15:37 CEST 2008

Charles C. Berry wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Apr 2008, Gad Abraham wrote:
>
>> Charles C. Berry wrote:

>>> someone can > > >  explain
>>> dataset dd:
>>> environment, not > >  in
>>> datadist > >  every
>>> all > >  the
>>> different for
>>> understand ---
>>>

>>>  That is because (from ?eval):
>>>
>>>  "Objects to be evaluated can be of types call or expression or name
>>> (when
>>>  the name is looked up in the current scope and its binding is
>>>  evaluated)..."
>>>
>>>  And 'x' is of type name (aka 'symbol').
>>>
>>>  So eval never gets around to looking in 'p', because it never
>>> succeeded in
>>>  looking up 'x' and evaluating its binding in the current scope.
>>>
>>>  What you probably want is
>>>
>>>      b <- evalq( x, envir=p)
>>>

>> Thanks, that solves the problem with this sample code, but not with
>> the Design::lrm function, because there are several more layers of
>> evaluation there.
>>
>> I can get around that with the ugly hack of setting a global NULL
>> datadist and assigning to it with "<<-" within the fit function every
>> time, so it's always visible to Design. But it's still an ugly hack :)
>
> Well, the ultimate problem is here
>
> <from Design>
>   XDATADIST <- .Options$datadist
>     if (length(XDATADIST)) {
>         if (!exists(XDATADIST))
>             stop(paste("dataset", XDATADIST, "not found for
> options(datadist=)"))
>
> exists()  mandates that there be an object as.name(XDATADIST) in the
> search() list. And a further eval(as.name(XDATADIST)) also requires this.
>
> Another way to do make your function work is to use this in it:
>
>     on.exit( detach("design.options") )
>     attach(list(), name= "design.options" )
>     d <- data.frame(ch, age)
>        assign('dd', datadist(d), pos='design.options')
>
> Admittedly still a hack, but it keeps your function from messing around
> with .GlobalEnv, and unless you are willing to rewrite lrm and Design,
> this is what you are stuck with.

I've changed the original example to:

library(Design)
attach(list(), name="design.options")
on.exit(detach("design.options"))
age <- rnorm(30, 50, 10)
cholesterol <- rnorm(30, 200, 25)
ch <- cut2(cholesterol, g=5, levels.mean=TRUE)

fit <- function(ch, age) [
    d <- data.frame(ch, age)
    assign('dd', datadist(d), pos='design.options')
    options(datadist="dd")
    lrm(ch ~ age, data=d, x=TRUE, y=TRUE)
}

fit(ch, age)

This works when I paste it into the R console, but not when I source()
the script:

 > library(Design)
 > attach(list(), name="design.options")
 > on.exit(detach("design.options"))
 > age <- rnorm(30, 50, 10)
 > cholesterol <- rnorm(30, 200, 25)
 > ch <- cut2(cholesterol, g=5, levels.mean=TRUE)
 > fit <- function(ch, age)
+ {
+    d <- data.frame(ch, age)
+    assign('dd', datadist(d), pos='design.options')
+    options(datadist="dd")
+    lrm .... [TRUNCATED]
 > fit(ch, age)
Error in as.environment(pos) :
   no item called "design.options" on the search list

Or is that asking for too much? ;)

--
Gad Abraham
Dept. CSSE and NICTA