[R] R question for Stata users

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Sun Apr 20 14:46:51 CEST 2008

Joe Trubisz wrote:
> Hi...
>
> In Stata, there is the ability to display scatter plots with data
> points at the same (x,y)
> location, using the 'jitter' command of the twoway scatter stata
> command.
>
> Anyone know of a way that I can do the equivalent thing in R?
>
> For non-Stata readers, if jitter is enabled in stata, and n-points
> would be at
> the same (x,y) location, the points are offset a bit (according to
> the jitter parameter)
> and you see all the points, though slightly offset from the original
> location.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

In addition to the jitter function pointed out by others, the Hmisc
package's jitter2 and scat1d functions written by Martin Maechler and
myself implement Stata's approach to jittering large datasets whereby a
randomly positioned fraction of the tick mark is displayed (default =
1/3 of the reference space).