[R] Response to R across the university

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sat Apr 19 00:01:05 CEST 2008

Antony Unwin wrote:

>> A couple other maybe not all that trivial things to do is to improve
>> the data import (it is losing out on most of the things that I tried)
>
> Now what would Brian say to a comment like that?  Please insert your
> favourite put-down here:
>
> ****                                                         ****
He'd usually say something about reproducible examples, just like you...

Don't get me wrong. I realize that the Open dialog in DataTable is
designed to read one, simple data format, not all of them. I just
couldn't easily figure out which one that was.

> And then perhaps you would be kind enough to let us know in a little
> more detail what hasn't worked for you.
Anything in the data directory of the ISwR package, for instance
(whitespace separated and comma separated files, mostly). I suspect that
the format it _will_ read is TAB separated, but it would be nice if it
said so somewhere. (Curiously, thuesen.txt does have tabs, but not
equally many in the header as in the data lines, so it can't be read at
all, the others just get all fields and headers jammed into one.)