[R] survreg with frailty

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Fri Apr 18 15:13:34 CEST 2008

  The combination of survreg + gamma frailty = invalid model, i.e., the example
that you quote.

  I did not realize that this had been added to the survreg help file until very
recently.  I will try to fix the oversight.  Other, more detailed documentation
states that Gaussian frailty + AIC is the only valid random effects choice for
survreg.

  Details: frailty(x) with no optional arguments defaults to "mle" as the method
of choosing the variance of the random effect, via a calculation that is
specific to the Cox model.

  	Terry Therneau