[R] CRAN packages hosting policy

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Apr 17 22:14:21 CEST 2008

On 18/04/2008, at 2:19 AM, Julien Barnier wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> I recently created a small package which contains some simple R
> functions in order to help students in my research unit to use R. The
> package is pure R, it passes R CMD check, but it is really designed
> for internal use and, moreover, it is entirely documented in french.
>
> Is it possible to upload and to host this kind of package to CRAN ? Or
> is it better, as it is quite a private tool and not really designed
> for widespread adoption, to set up my own repository ?

	It is of course *possible*.  There is no vetting of quality or
	relevance of packages submitted to CRAN --- as long as a submitted
	package passes R CMD check it is ``accepted''.

	There *might* be a requirement that documentation be written, or
	be available, in English.  For better or for worse, English is the
	``official'' language of the R project.  I have never heard of the
	existence of such a rule however; perhaps the issue has never arisen.

	However I think it would be bad manners to clutter CRAN with
	packages which are not of general interest.  So it would be better
	to set up your own ``repository''.  How to do this would depend
	on how your system is structured, but it should be almost trivial
	to do.  E.g. I have made packages available to others via my personal
	web page, and this seems to work just fine.

		cheers,

			Rolf Turner