[R] Moving from Splus to R: irregular and regular time series

Isabelle BRAUD isabelle.braud at cemagref.fr
Thu Apr 17 18:05:47 CEST 2008

Dear R developpers,

I am a user of Splus since many years and I have developped lots of
functions to plot graph of data and model results of irregular or
regular times series.

In Splus regular times series are created using the rts function and
irregular time series using the its functions. In both cases, times is
given as a numeric vector.

There is no problem in plotting a regular and an irregular time series
on the same graphs using the ts.plot function.

I am now trying to move to R, as it is a free software, so that it is
very easy to install it for students.

However, I have problems in finding the functions in R which would
enable me to do the same type of graphs as before.

I have downloaded the its and tseries packages, but in tseries time is
numeric and in its time is provided as POSIXct or lt objects. I have the
filling that both packages have been developped separately and I don't
see how I could specify time to be able to plot regular and irregurlar
time series on the same graph --- if it is possible in R--.

Thanks in advance for your answer

Best regards

Isabelle

--