[R] SVG format from any R graphic GUI?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Wed Apr 16 19:23:16 CEST 2008

See comments inline:

Agustin Lobo wrote:
> Thanks for your answers, let me summarize the situation:
>
> 1. I've tested the SVG import for OO, it's not great
> but it is much better than what you get for EMF. I know
> nothing about SVG, though, perhaps it is not the
> best graphics format.

In theory, SVG would be something of an ideal format, because it is open
and provides for high quality graphics for viewing AND printing. It is
being increasingly used, but still has yet to be fully supported in most
applications. For example, OO.org's Draw application can generate SVG
graphics, but as noted, does not fully support importing them back into
the OO.org apps.

> 2. I need the figure displayed on the screen, I'm using
> Impress (the equivalent of ppt). Thus EPS is not an option,

Two recommendations, if this is for presentation:

1. Use LaTeX, specifically the Beamer package. This will generate PDF
slide files, which you can then display using the full screen viewing
features of applications like Adobe's Reader. This is what I with R/Sweave.

More information here:

http://latex-beamer.sourceforge.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beamer_(LaTeX)

2. Import the R EPS files into OO.org as per your normal routine. Then,
when ready, print the document to a PS file, using a PS compatible
printer driver. You don't actually have to have a PS printer, just
install a PS driver. When you go to print the document, there will be an
option someplace in the dialogs to "print to file". Do so. This will
give you a PS file, with the high quality vector based EPS images, not
the bitmapped previews.

Then use 'ps2pdf' to convert the PS file you create above to a PDF file.
This leaves you in essentially the same place as LaTeX, where you can
then use the full screen viewing mode of a PDF viewer.  I used to use
this option several years ago, before I began to use LaTeX almost
exclusively.

> 3. I do not see any pdf import functionality in OO, I get it
> as text and in OO writer. PDF is not listed among
> the supported formats in Impress for inserting graphic files.
> I did not try the development version of OO, perhaps this is
> an alternative.

PDF import will be new for OO.org 3.x.  It is not available in the
current 2.x stable release versions.

HTH,

Marc