[R] question about nlminb

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Apr 13 22:40:37 CEST 2008

      It's very well known that if a random vector X has a finite mean
mu and covariance Sig, and Y = A X, then

(1) EY = A %*% mu

and

(2) cov(Y) = A %*% Sig %*% t(X)
           = tcrossprod(A %*% Sig, A)

      Expression (1) says that mathematical expectation is a linear
operator.  Expression (2) follows by application of (1).  See any good
reference that discusses expected values.  I didn't find a web site with
a 2 minute search, but I would expect to find it in C. R. Rao (1973)
Linear Statistical Inference and Its Application, 2nd ed. (Wiley) and in
many other places.

      Best Wishes,
      Spencer