[R] simple intro to cluster analysis using R

William Revelle lists at revelle.net
Thu Apr 10 03:28:17 CEST 2008

At 2:00 AM +0300 4/10/08, Donatas G. wrote:
>I am looking for simple introduction to cluster analysis using R, that would
>be understandable to a novice in statistics. Or, could someone perhaps help
>me understand how to proceed in my analysis? I am very new to both statistics
>and R, but am trying hard to avoid having to use SPSS as everyone around
>me...
>
>I have dataset on people presenting their opinions on different religious
>communities coded on 5 point scale, and I want to see if those communities
>can be grouped (clustered) in some way that would be illuminatin for my
>research purposes.

>so you can see there is a lot of correlation in the opinions. I doubt
>clusterization would be meaningfull, but I still want to try.
>
>How do I proceed with this?

You might want to look at the ICLUST function in the psych package.
It was designed for this very problem of clustering items,
particularly items with a great deal of missing data.
Addition functions in psych that are useful include
cluster.plot and ICLUST.graph (and ICLUST.rgraph if you have
Rgraphviz installed)

Bill