[R] apply lm() for all the columns of a matrix

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Wed Apr 9 21:58:15 CEST 2008

It is still not clear what is your response (y) variable and exactly
what is your predictor (x) variable(s).

If you have a separate vector of length 10 that is the response and you
want to regress it with each of the 8 vectors mentioned, then here is
one way to do that:

> p<-1:80+rnorm(80)
> dim(p)<-c(2,2,2,10)
>
> y <- 1:10
>
> my.data <- data.frame( y=rep(y,8), x=c(aperm(p,4:1)), g=gl(8,10) )
>
> library(nlme)
>
> fits <- lmList( y ~ x | g, data=my.data )

Now 'fits' is a list with the 8 regressions, you can access each
regression with fits[[1]] and the like, or there are some summaries that
you can get from the entire list.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.