[R] R in a cluster environment?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 9 07:30:14 CEST 2008

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Tornes, Ivan E wrote:

> I'm a cluster administrator and one of my users has requested that I
> install R on our system.  Can R be used in a cluster computing
> environment that utilizes batch processing, i.e. no graphical output
> during processing?

Yes, easily.

> Also, can R be parallelized to run on many nodes/processors
> simultaneously?

Not R itself. However, there are R extensions to enable R tasks to be
distributed to R processes running on separate systems, over MPI or PVM
for example. AFAIK our cluster users of R do not do that, but they do run
simulations involving many separate R tasks whose results are later
combined.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk