[R] rgl_0.70.553.tar.gz install

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Apr 7 17:59:12 CEST 2008

On 4/7/2008 11:29 AM, Matthew.Cook at warwick.ac.uk wrote:
> Thanks Duncan,
>
> I only installed R this morning so it has taken me a while to get used to
> the coding.
> Having found and installed the rjl_0.77 zipped file into R, the problem
> still occurs. The plot is being used in correspondence analysis. The rjl
> library is called in a function "corr" as follows:
>
> ##	If a 3D plot is requested	##
> library(rgl)
> plot3d(0, 0, 0, type = "n", box = FALSE, xlim = range(.......
> etc....
>
> Once the plot is created, I save it as an R image and here is the error:
>
>> save.image("C:\\Users\\Matt\\Documents\\sltable")
>> rgl.snapshot("C:\\Users\\Matt\\Documents\\sltable",fmt="png",top="TRUE")
> Error in rgl.bringtotop() : failed

A few things:

  - save.image has nothing to do with rgl or graphics; it's a way to
save a binary image of all the R objects in your session.  But it should
be harmless.

  - I think the problem you had is simply that you put quotes around
"TRUE".  rgl.snapshot is expecting a logical value, not a character
value, and it confuses rgl.bringtotop to see the characters.

  - If you say you want the file to be named sltable, that's what you'll
get, and Windows won't know that it's a png file.  You should name it
sltable.png instead.  (Oh, how I wish Windows explorer would by default
display filenames correctly, rather than suppressing the extension.  If
you want this, in XP you open a folder in Explorer, choose Tools |
Folder options... | View from the menu and dialog tab, and clear the
check beside "Hide extensions for known file types".  Then click on the
"Apply to all folders" button.  I've no idea what related abominations
are in Vista. )

Duncan Murdoch