[R] Reading an ArcGIS raster file

Jens Oldeland oldeland at gmx.de
Sat Apr 5 14:53:35 CEST 2008

 > How can I read and plot an ArcGIS raster file into R ?

Hi Juliane,

I think what you are looking for is something like a function in the
"adehabitat" package called "import.asc". First you need to convert your
raster images in ArcGIS to ascii files. You have to use the conversion
toolbox --> from raster to --> raster to ascii in ArcGIS.

see also:
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=Raster_to_ASCII_(Conversion)

afterwards apply the image.asc function.

this might help you out:
http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/library/adehabitat/html/import.asc.html

this allows to import your raster files and use it for calculations.
are you sure about your floating point data? or are there only "some"
digits after the "." ?

hope this helped?

best,
Jens