[R] Thinking about using two y-scales on your plot?

Martin Rittner kmr at thegeologician.net
Thu Apr 3 13:22:23 CEST 2008

Richie,
A plot of the actual temperature during a year (or thousands of years,
as people in palaeoclimate-studies are rather used to) is just so much
more intuitive, than some correlation-coefficients or such. I know I'm
largely speaking to statisticians in this forum, but in Earth Sciences,
most people aren't... I see the use of correlation coefficients and
-plots in proofing that an apparent correlation is "real", but the first
question upon presenting any statistic analysis is always "What does the
DATA look like?".

Of course, these plots could be plotted separately with a common x-axis,
it's just a matter of saving space and of being used to that kind of
graph. I can't imagine anyone being falsely lead to a thought like "oh
gosh, the temperature is much higher/bigger/more than the
precipitation!" - that makes no sense. I do see the point in graphs
where values are plotted together, whose possible interaction with each
other might lead to wrong conclusions. Then, it might not be obvious
that one is drawing a senseless conclusion.

Best regards,
Martin