[R] lmer function :method="AGQ"

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Tue Apr 1 15:33:46 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:45 AM, Stefan Grosse <singularitaet at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 April 2008 02:20:39 pm Boikanyo Makubate wrote:
>  BM> I am using the lmer function from the lme4 package.  I wrote the
>  BM> following statement, specifying the method to be adaptive Gaussian
>  BM> quadrature. I am getting an error saying "method = "AGQ" not yet
>  BM> implemented for supernodal representation".  Please help. How can i
>  BM> implement AGQ.
>
>  This has been answered yesterday by Douglas Bates who is the lme4 developer:
>  http://www.nabble.com/lmer-function.-td16398022.html#a16398022
>
>  Why do you think that reposting with the very same text will yield any better
>  answer than this?

This person also wrote directly to me asking how to implement AGQ.  I
read the message early in the morning and didn't pick up on the fact
that the choice of the word "implement" probably was based on the
error message.  I interpreted it as a programmer requesting detailed
instructions, which I then proceeded to provide.  In retrospect, I
don't think that was the sense of the request.  I now believe it was
in the sense of "How do I make this error message go away?".

Could someone at the Statistics Department at the University of
Glasgow please take this person aside and explain what the error
message means and why asking the same question over and over is
unlikely to produce a more positive answer?