[R] filtering out duplicates & creating a dataframe with unique id

Dimitris Rizopoulos dimitris.rizopoulos at med.kuleuven.be
Tue Apr 1 11:46:36 CEST 2008

try the following:

dat <- data.frame(
    id = gl(10, 5),
    y = rnorm(50),
    time = rep(1:5, 10),
    sex = gl(2, 25, labels = c("male", "female")),
    age = round(rep(runif(10, 18, 55), each = 5), 1)
)

dat[tapply(row.names(dat), dat$id, head, n = 1), ]
dat[!duplicated(dat$id), ]

I hope it helps.

Best,
Dimitris

----
Dimitris Rizopoulos
Biostatistical Centre
School of Public Health
Catholic University of Leuven

Address: Kapucijnenvoer 35, Leuven, Belgium
Tel: +32/(0)16/336899
Fax: +32/(0)16/337015
Web: http://med.kuleuven.be/biostat/
     http://www.student.kuleuven.be/~m0390867/dimitris.htm