[R] Save and load workspace in R: strange error.

Hongxiao Zhu hxzhu at stat.rice.edu
Sun Sep 30 20:52:28 CEST 2007

Hi,

I tried to load a .RData object on unix system using R, it gives error:

Error: restore file may be empty -- no data loaded
In addition: Warning message:
file 'junk3.RData' has magic number ''
    Use of save versions prior to 2 is deprecated

This happens only for using MY user account for the Unix system. I
tried to use a friends's user account to load the same data object, it is
fine. And it never happened to me before until sometime last week.
And This error happens even when I generate a simple random number
from my user account and save it, and load it again.(So obviously it is
not a R version mismatch problem). Does anybody know what happened?

Here is an example what happened:

> x=rnorm(100)
> save.image('junk4.RData')
> load('junk4.RData')
Error: restore file may be empty -- no data loaded
In addition: Warning message:
file 'junk4.RData' has magic number ''
    Use of save versions prior to 2 is deprecated

Thanks for any suggestion.

Hongxiao