[R] Problem with Palatino font in pdf figures

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Sun Sep 30 18:27:13 CEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 16:49 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Consider the following piece of code:
>
> pdf(file="figure.pdf", family="Palatino")
> plot(0,0,type='n', xlim=c(-20,20), ylim=c(0,2),xlab="",ylab="",axes=F)
> text(-1.4,1.168,expression(italic("The font looks different when this
> is seen with Acrobat Reader!")),xpd=T)
> dev.off()
>
> When viewing the produced figure.pdf with kpdf (on Linux), it looks as
> being written with LaTeX Mathpazo font, but not when one views
> figure.pdf with Acrobat Reader. Any ideas about how to get the same
> result both with kpdf and with Acrobat Reader?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

Note that R does not embed the fonts by default in the PDF file.

Based upon what I am seeing here on F7, which is consistent with your
comments, the font substitution mapping in Adobe Reader 8 is different
than that in either kpdf, gv or in Evince. The latter three appear to be
using the same font substitution and look the same.

You might want to review ?pdfFonts and ?embedFonts for additional
information as well as the article by Paul Murrell and Prof. Ripley in R
News on non-standard fonts:

  http://cran.r-project.org/doc/Rnews/Rnews_2006-2.pdf

HTH,

Marc Schwartz