[R] Graphics and LaTeX documents with the same font

jiho jo.irisson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 17:25:06 CEST 2007

On 2007-September-28  , at 16:57 , Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:
> jiho wrote:
>> If you don't mind an extra step between R and LaTeX, you could
>> use  Inkscape to modify your graphics:
>> 	http://www.inkscape.org/
>> It is a (very nice!) vector graphics editor which:
>> - works with SVGs (as produced with the RSvgDevice package)
>> - imports PDFs (really well in the latest development version)
>> - is available for free, on most platforms
>> and
>> - exports PDFs that nicely integrate in LaTeX documents
>> - exports PSTricks graphics
>> Then two roads are opened for you:
>> 1- either get a TTF version of the LaTeX fonts (there are
>> packages  for this on all linux distros I know, for use with Lyx
>> and you can  probably find them on the web otherwise) and change
>> all the fonts to  those once your document is in Inkscape (select
>> all > text and font >  select the font)
>> 2- or open the document with inkscape and export it to pstricks
>> I personally use Inkscape on all my R graphics because I find it
>> easier and quicker to get decent graphics and R and refine their
>> look  in Inkscape than to get them perfect in R in one shot
>> ( though with  ggplot2 things are improving on R's side).

> As this works against principles of reproducible research, I
> wouldn't recommend it.

Do you consider that changing the font size of the graphic would be
altering the research result? Or laying out a 2d contour and a 3d
plot in parallel, or changing the line color/pattern...? My
modifications are usually of this kind. Of course those things are
doable with R but they are usually immensely easier in a graphics
program (where the color palettes are predefined, the dash patterns
are more diverse etc.).

For example, I often find myself using the same plot in an article, a
presentation, and a poster, usually with different color palettes and
font requirements. I just open the pdf, change the colors, font and
font size to match the design of the article/presentation/poster,
realign the labels a bit and re-save it. I don't think that I am
doing any harm to my result or present any false information to the
readers, I just make the graphics easier on their eyes.

But maybe I am a bit too much of a purist on these maters. I just
find that, much too often, research results that represent months of
work are presented as narrow, black and white (possibly even
pixallated!) captures of article graphics which don't do justice to
the quality of the work behind them. I don't think there is any harm
in making (good) science look a bit "sexier", do you?

Jean-Olivier Irisson
---
UMR 5244 CNRS-EPHE-UPVD, 52 av Paul Alduy, 66860 Perpignan Cedex, France
+336 21 05 19 90
http://jo.irisson.free.fr/work/