[R] sprucing up the R homepage

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 27 09:20:31 CEST 2007

    Paul> Hi
    Paul> elw at stderr.org wrote:
    >>

    >>> So I applied my corrected margins to Tim's Cairo trick and voila:
    >>> http://www.broad.mit.edu/~finnyk/Rlogo_swiss.png
    >>> This is hands-down the best version, in my opinion!
    >>
    >> Yes, it is definitely much nicer than the version on www.r-project.org
    >> now.  :-)

    Paul> Much nicer.  Thanks guys!

Thanks indeed!

    Paul> Before we update the homepage, we should probably just
    Paul> check with the original "artist" (Eric Lecoutre,
    Paul> cc'ed) and we would need a description of the final
    Paul> technique you used to add as a comment to the code
    Paul> "behind" the image.

Yes, that was my "concern" too. After all, with R (and Sweave
and ...) advocating ``reproducible research'' in many ways,
I'd very much like a reproducible image there; we can live with
using non-R code for post processing (did I correctly get that you used
Imagemagick derived utilities)..

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich