[R] finding a stable cluster for kmeans

Friedrich Leisch friedrich.leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Sep 26 15:28:09 CEST 2007

  > You might want to check if there is a neural gas algorithm in R.
  > kmeans generally has a high variance since it is very dependent on
  > the initialization. Neural gas overcomes this problem by using a
  > ranked list of neighbouring data points instead using data points
  > directly. It is more stable (at the cost of additional computational
  > time).

Neural gas is in package flexclust on CRAN (one of the clustering
methods function cclust() privides).

I also find it more stable than kmeans for some data, although in
general I agree with what has been said before in this thread:
instability is in most cases caused by no clear cluster structure of
the data, wrong number of clusters etc rather than by the wrong
cluster algorithm.

Best,

Prof. Dr. Friedrich Leisch

Institut für Statistik                          Tel: (+49 89) 2180 3165
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität                  Fax: (+49 89) 2180 5308
Ludwigstraße 33
D-80539 München                 http://www.stat.uni-muenchen.de/~leisch