[R] sprucing up the R homepage

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Wed Sep 26 13:35:40 CEST 2007

>> http://www.broad.mit.edu/~finnyk/Rhome.jpg

> If you run Eric Lecoutre's code to produce the graphic, available at
> http://www.r-project.org/misc/acpclust.R, unchanged except for the
> addition of these lines:
>
> library(Cairo)
> Cairo(600,400,file="Rlogo_swiss.png",type="png",bg="white")
>
> then you get this:
>
> http://members.optusnet.com.au/tchur/Rlogo_swiss.png
>
> which I think looks even better. Kudos to Simon Urbanek and Jeffrey
> Horner for the excellent Cairo device driver for R (and which works even
> without an X server, which makes it great for web server applications).

It seems to have lost labels on the left, though... and there is some
oddness on the right edge, too, where the number "45" found in the other
two plot versions has been replaced with "V. De Gen..." - what looks like
part of someone's name or some other descriptor.  The "(1-3) 60%" under
the PCA 5 Vars section also intersects with part of a plot.

Overall the effect is better, but the fine details could use some
tweaking.

--elijah