[R] are hurdle logit-poisson model and posson model nested?

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Mon Sep 24 10:04:27 CEST 2007

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, Wensui Liu wrote:

> Dear Listers,
> I have a general statistical question. Are hurdle logit-poisson model
> and posson model nested?

No, I don't think so. The logit hurdle is equivalent to a geometric hurdle
(i.e., logit and right-censored geometric distribution imply the same
likelihood and thus the same estimates), so a hurdle logit-geometric model
is nested withing a geometric model.
If you want a model nested in poisson, you can use a hurdle
poisson-poisson model, i.e., a right-censored poisson for the zero hurdle
and a left-truncated poisson for the counts. A test for presence of the
hurdle is then a test that all parameters are equal. The hurdle() function
in "pscl" can fit these models and hurdletest() can test for the presence
of the hurdle (given that the same distribution has been used for the zero
hurdle and the counts).

Best,