[R] Robust or Sandwich estimates in lmer2

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Thu Sep 20 23:43:07 CEST 2007

Abdus Sattar <upsattar at yahoo.com> asked:

> I am trying to find the robust (or sandwich) estimates of the standard
> error of fixed effects parameter estimates using the package "lmer2".

Others have already pointed out that this is not implemented in lmer2.

You could try a delete-n jackknife, which you would have to implement
yourself. An ordinary delete-1 jackknife does not work for
clustered/correlated data.  This would also give you bias-corrected
point estimates.  I should add that, in the limited simulations I have
done (for Gaussian mixed model analysis of pedigree data), the jackknife
standard errors seemed a bit conservative (too big).

David Duffy.