[R] Package Survey

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Thu Sep 20 16:16:36 CEST 2007

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Rita Sousa wrote:

> How I use the function as.svrepdesign without memory.size problems?
>
> desenho_npc_JK <- as.svrepdesign(desenho_npc,type="JKn")
>
> Error: cannot allocate vector of size 161.3 Mb

There is currently no easy way to affect the amount of memory that this
uses, unless you can divide the data into pieces -- for example, use only
some variables, or create separate design objects for strata.

The surveyNG package, which can handle very large designs, does not yet do
replicate-weight analyses.

One question is how big the design actually is.
161.3Mb looks like a vector of length 21 million

If this is the number of observations in the study then you need a
larger computer.  If it is the total number of replicate weights then you
may just be able to increase the memory limit for R  on your computer
using the memory.size() function, as the warning method suggests.

 	-thomas