[R] R-related: problem with openvt on Ubuntu 7.04

bbolker bolker at ufl.edu
Thu Sep 20 05:47:00 CEST 2007

   This is a configuration/OS problem, but it's affecting my use of R ...

  Whenever I try to open _any_ vignette (as far as I can tell)
from within R, I get "Could not get a file descriptor referring to the
console",
coming from /usr/bin/openvt, which is pointed to by /usr/bin/open,
which is called by print.vignette to display the vignette.

   On the other hand, openvt fails in the same way from the command line,
with
_any_ command ("openvt bash"), so I know it's not really an R problem.
Nevertheless, maybe someone has an answer?

   system("evince") or system("acroread") both seem to work fine, so I guess
in a pinch I could hack print.vignette ...

RSiteSearching finds practically nothing and
Googling around finds nothing terribly useful ...
this is on a fairly standard Ubuntu 7.04 install.

  thanks
    Ben Bolker

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.5.1 (2007-06-27)
i486-pc-linux-gnu

locale:
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:
[1] "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"  "methods"
[7] "base"