[R] Cox regression and p-values

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Wed Sep 19 15:51:34 CEST 2007

  Fisher's "exact" test is for comparing two proportions, which is a completely
different problem than Cox regression, and so the test has no relevance to this
problem.  It has, however, sparked a large literature of debate; already alluded
to by many of the responses.

  The tests in the coxph table are Wald tests, beta/ se(beta).  For large sample
sizes the Wald, score, and likelihood ratio tests will be equivalent, but for
small samples the prevailing wisdom is that the likelihood ratio tests are the
most reliable.  To do the LR test, you need to refit the Cox model without the
variable of interest.  Then compare the two printouts, one for the full model
and one for the reduced model: both will contain a line "Likelihood ratio test =
xxx on y df" where xxx and y are numbers.  The LR test for the omitted variable
is the difference in the two "xxx" values, which is chi-squared with degrees of
freedom equal to the difference in the "y" values.

  	Terry Therneau