[R] Survival model (time to event data)

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Sat Sep 15 02:24:20 CEST 2007

High all, I would appreciate input about how the following survival model
can be modeled in R and how competing risk models can generally be modeled.
Also I would appreciate hints about resources that you are aware of that
explain the use of survival models in R in greater detail.

The data structure of my data is plotted below. My problem is that I don't
know how to model 4 different events in the same hazard model for which the
hazards are conditional on some other factor.

Conditions:

0. All events are mutually exclusive
1. Either no event, Event1, or one of the Events 2-4 occurs (i.e. events 2-4
are competing)
2. Event1 can only occur if St.Beg=0 (it switches St.End from this period
and St.Beg from the following periods on to 1 until Event4 occurs).
3. Event2-4 can only occur if St.Beg=1

Time	St.Beg	St.End	Event1	Event2	Event3	Event4	Number
1	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
2	0	0	0	0	0	0	0
3	0	1	1	0	0	0	0
4	1	1	0	0	0	0	10