[R] segfault in download.file

max.e.brown at gmail.com max.e.brown at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 12:56:31 CEST 2007

Hello,

I was trying to use get.hist.quote in tseries, and got a segfault:

-8<-----------------------------------

> library(tseries)

    'tseries' version: 0.10-6

    'tseries' is a package for time series analysis and computational
    finance.

    See 'library(help="tseries")' for details.

> get.hist.quote("^spx")
trying URL 'http://chart.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=^spx&a=0&b=02&c=1991&d=8&e=13&f=2007&g=d&q=q&y=0&z=^spx&x=.csv'

 *** caught segfault ***
address 0x5f4d4550, cause 'memory not mapped'

Traceback:
 1: download.file(url, destfile, method = method, quiet = quiet)
 2: get.hist.quote("^spx")

Possible actions:
1: abort (with core dump)
2: normal R exit
3: exit R without saving workspace
4: exit R saving workspace
Selection: 1
aborting ...
Segmentation fault

--------------------------------------

This appears to be reproducible.

My R version is
platform       powerpc-apple-darwin8.6.0
arch           powerpc
os             darwin8.6.0
system         powerpc, darwin8.6.0
status
major          2
minor          3.1
year           2006
month          06
day            01
svn rev        38247
language       R
version.string Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)

Is this a known issue?

Thanks,

Max

PS:
I can't seem to get useful info out of the dumped core:

Core was generated by `/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/exec/ppc/R'.
#0  0x90003568 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x90003568 in ?? ()

I guess I would need a version of R with debugging symbols in there?